Recommended

I am sometimes surprised that there are often those who interact with me or this blog who do not realise that what I do here is mainly about PAINTING fabric and not dyeing fabric. Now I know that you can paint a fabric with dye but MOST of the time, everything you see here is done with textile paints and not dyes.

It began with this piece.

hand painted fabric

Which was the final piece that I had to do for City and Guilds Patchwork and Quilting. It had to be monotone and after dyeing yards and yards of fabric (with varying success) I was looking for another way, so I decided to use textile paint. All of the fabric for this piece was done with one small pot of Pebeo Setacolor  Transparent fabric paint, with more or lesser degrees of water added to achieve the different values.
Well what can I say, for someone like me, working in a domestic situation, I was hooked.

I wanted to learn more and with that aim in mind I purchased this.

hand painted fabric

As you can see it is well used and I still refer back to it often. It was my guide to getting to know the ins and outs of fabric painting and if you are keen to have a go this would be one of my Top 5 recommendations.

Those eagle eyed among you will have noticed that I recently added an Amazon window to my blog.
I have done this not because I anticipate financial gain but because it seemed to be an easy way of showing you the books that I have used and would recommend one obviously being this one.

hand painted fabric

I can also recommend her DVD. If you want to see more of Mickey Lawlers beautiful hand painted fabric visit at SkyDyes.

And if you like books stay tuned because by the end of the week I will be having a giveaway of Seaside Home.

hand painting fabric

Comments

  1. Thanks for the recommendations - I was sort of leaning towards buying her first (if not her second!) book - and now that you've said "BUY IT DAMN IT" I will!

    (Okay, the emphasis is probably mine and mine alone.) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wall hanging, it is really beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of hand painted, would like to do some, but too many projects and things I need to do and use up;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the rocks, just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the recommendations! I am new to the fabric/textile creation world and didn't put it together that a person could paint fabric versus using dye only. I see a lot of use for the former.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts