Background stitching/quilting

art quilting

Lots of close up shots in this post.
When I began to stitch the background I didn't like what I had done and was just about to start ripping out stitches when I remembered that I am playing and so I just kept on going  with a variety of different patterns.

art quilting

My repertoire of FMQ designs is not huge. I do a lot of straight(ish) lines in my work.

art quilting

I do a LOT of pebbling.

art quilting

And a bit of spiralling.

art quilting

I also have a go at flowers now and again.

art quilting

To finish off I randomly stitched lines around the edge.

art quilting

But that was after I once more stitched around the teasel to give it added definition as you can see from the back view.

art quilting

The backing fabric was put on with 505 spray to hold it in place after the background was stitched.
Now back to that bag of scraps.

art quilting

Comments

  1. I love that whole combination of fmq stitches. Another wee work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its wonderful Deborah. Love that painted teazel, it brings the design so successfully into 3D.
    Its dleightful with the mix and match of machine quilting too.
    Its almost like a sampler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it!! Isn't it amazing what you can do with a few scraps!!

      Delete
  3. I really like the new stitching you did. I had one that I did straight lines on and then didn't like it. I use a lot of wool and my pieces get thick, so easier to stitch first, if I am going to use the machine.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it
    It looks like you had fun quilting this panel ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! Love the play. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you did not do any ripping in the end, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just noticed the random stitching finishing around the edges; how cool! I may have to try something like that myself one day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts